Monday, February 6, 2012

Goblin Skaven Slaves update. Part 3

*Squeek*





After giving myself a break from large units by finishing Queek Headtaker, Deathmaster Snikch, and Scar-Scath (Vermin Lord) I think it is time to return to reinforcing the core of my Warlord Clan.
For many Skaven warlords, "Core" probably brings to mind two essential unit types: Clanrats and Skaven Slaves.




Having come into a large number of old Goblin models, I thought it would be great to use them as "counts as" Skaven slaves. After all, the green-things are a constant nuisance to us Skaven, competing with us as they do for control of Dwarven holds, mines, and prime underworld real estate. (I imagine any generals of the lesser-races reading this will think it ironic that we Skaven should think of Goblins as an infestation! But, while infestation they may be, when captured they can prove useful in the vanguard of our armies - or perhaps the cooking pot!)



In two earlier posts (here and then here)  I talked a bit about the simple modelling I did to make the unit look more "Skaveny". I have since added texture to the bases, primed the unit, completed basecoating and highlighting the skin. Basecoating the skin took me 2.5 hours for 40...(so much for speed painting!)


Primed
Basecoat of Calthan Green
Highlights of Calthan Green/ Snot Green
Drybrush with lighter shade of Calthan Green
Now I hardly ever get a game in, so I can't speak with confidence about any personal battlefield experience with my slaves, but the general opinion around the intertunnels is that they are pretty critical to any Skaven army! If possible, they need to be deployed at a minimum of 40-60 troops (any comments on that dear reader?), as this will give them plenty of ranks to stop them running from combat AND allow them to die in droves (exactly what we want so they hold up the enemy unit.)


More updates over the course of this week, at the end of which I hope to have finished up the full unit of 50.


*Squeek*

2 comments:

  1. 40-60 slaves seems about right, I haven't played new 8th Edition warhammer but it seems that skavenslaves are now rock hard (?!?). I love the idea of goblin slaves, I must steal that one! Good blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get to play often, so this isn't personal experience, but it seems from reading around that most people take 40-60 as you say, and Skaven slaves are now often the beating heart of any army due to the Steadfast rules.
      Glad you like the Goblin slaves. I stole the idea myself! Common wisdom is that the best alternative slaves are Empire flagellants, goblins and Gnoblars. They would be better than the models above, which don't look "rag tag" enough due to having the same poses.
      Glad you like the blog and thanks for the compliment. Much appreciated!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...