Saturday, May 8, 2010

Painting a Skaven Jezzail - test...

*Neek, Neek*
While waiting for reinforcements ordered via eBay, I decided to have a go painting some of the models that I bought at my local Games Workshop. One of the units that I really liked the look of was the Skaven Jezzail, a long-rifle unit with good range, excellent ammunition, and an ability to take down tough targets (such as armoured knights etc.)

So, after a few hours, here is what I ended up with:

EDIT: Following the launch of the latest Citadel Paint range in 2012, please note that the colours listed below are from the previous range. I hope to have time to rewrite in the future, but for the time being, you can use the conversion chart/ list I made here or use the official Citadel Conversion chart here.

The picture is a bit dark as it was taken at night rather than in decent natural light, but the process was:
a.) Basecoat Chaos Black.
b.) Fur: Calthan Brown
c.) Skin/ Tail: Tallarn Flesh
d.) Hood: Red Gore
e.) Metal: Boltgun metal
(Jezzail barrel, swords, chain etc.)
f.) Leathers: Snakebite leather.
g.) Jezzail bands: Dwarf bronze.
h.) Wood: Calthan Brown/ Bestial Brown.


After these basic colours were done, I:
1.) Liberally applied Devlan Mud Wash (Fantastic stuff and highly recommended!)
2.) Drybrushed the fur and pavise with a lighter coat of Calthan Brown,
3.) Layered up lighter shades of most of the colours above (but used Blood Red, rather than a lighter shade of Red Gore.)
4.) Drybrushed the sand and flocked the base.

Alternative angles:




























I followed a fairly standard red colour scheme based on the one at the Games Workshop website. I'm not sure if I really like this though (I bet everyone uses red, perhaps something in blue?)

Comments and suggestions for improvement welcome!

2 comments:

  1. Chrissie (darkprincess1980@hotmail.com)October 19, 2010 at 12:30 PM

    I actually have a different color scheme per clan... For example clan Skyre is red, Clan Pestilens is green, slaves (as they don't really have a clan...) are blue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. While my Warlord Clan colour is now Ice Blue, I do also use other colours for the big (famous?) clans like Skryre (Red, as in the Jezzails above, or on weapons teams) or Pestilens etc. I like the idea of having those clans keep their colours as it fits in with the idea of a small-time Warlord (like mine) having "rented" help from the big clans.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...