Sunday, September 5, 2010

How to Paint Rat Ogres

* Squeek*

"Are you telling me those FOOLS at Clan Moulder have only sent TWO Rat Ogres to join my ranks??!!
...AND the slaves they promised as food have not arrived?
...Surely the paltry number of fake warptokens I sent mingled with the down-payment wouldn't have anything to do with this?"

I got my first ever ROgres done. I don't think they look too bad for a first attempt. What follows is a rough guide (I may have forgotten a step or two) to the process, including the washes etc. Some notes follow the guide that I hope you'll find useful.

First, a couple lots of pics...

Rat Ogres!


































































Base Details...

















































The  process followed was:
A.) Undercoat
  1. After assembly, liberally apply PVA glue to base and dip in modelling sand.
  2. Wait until dry, then undercoat. (I use Chaos Black spraypaint.)
B.) Basecoat(s)

EDIT: Following the launch of the latest Citadel Paint range in 2012, please note that the colours listed below are from the previous range. I hope to have time to rewrite in the future, but for the time being, you can use the conversion chart/ list I made here or use the official Citadel Conversion chart here.
  1. Fur: Drybrush Calthan Brown OR Bestial Brown.
  2. Skin/ Tail/ Feet: Tallarn Flesh.
  3. Cloth: Ice Blue.
  4. Metal: Boltgun metal and Dwarf Bronze. (Weapons, belt buckles etc.)
  5. Bandages: Skull White
  6. Buboes/ Boils: Elf Flesh
  7. Bone: Skull White
  8. Exposed arteries: Red gore then Blood Red.
  9. Warpstone: Dark Angels Green, then Scorpion Green.
C.) Apply Washes: Liberally apply Devlan Mud Wash all over.

D.) Reapply base colours: Layered up lighter shades/ colours: 


  1. Skin/ Tail/ Feet: Dwarf Flesh on raised areas. (Being careful to leave some Tallarn flesh areas and the shadows created by the Devlan Mud wash and the black undercoat - especially on the tail.)
  2. Cloth: Ice Blue/ Skull White (50/50 mix) on raised areas/ edges of cloth.
  3. Metal: Chainmail edge highlights on metallic parts.
  4. Bandages: Skull White highlights on edges.
  5. Buboes/ Boils: VERY watered down Blood Red around rim of the boil
  6. Bone: Skull White highlights
  7. Exposed arteries: Blood Red highlights
  8. Warpstone:Scorpion Green/ Skull White highlights.
  9. Blades: Add Red Gore along blade edge, then highlight/ fill with Blood Red.
E.) Final Drybrushing:
  1. Fur: Drybrush Calthan Brown/ Skull White (50/50) OR Bestial Brown/ Skull White (50/50)
  2. Metal: Drybrush Mithril silver (Weapon edges) buttons etc.
F.) Base:
  1. Base: Drybrush Calthan Brown, then Tallarn Flesh, finally a very light brush of Codex Grey.
  2. Apply dabs of PVA glue onto the base and dip into green flock.
  3. Paint base sides Knarloc Green.
G.) Extra Base Details:
NOTE: At this point, the size of the bases meant that they felt very empty, and the green flock looked very bland, so I decided to add a couple of visual highlights that I thought would draw the eye and keep things interesting. I would definitely recommend spicing up these bases with something! I raided my bits box and came up with a plastic Axe, a shield, and some giant rats.

I thought that if if I was lucky, I could make these weapons look and feel as though they had been abandoned in the face of these onrushing Rat Ogres. I don't know if it worked, but it was interesting to try it!

Since completing these two Ogres I've been working on a full unit of giant rats, and I hope to get some pics of those and a guide up in the next day or so. In the meantime, I'd better go and round up some slaves to feed these ravenous rat ogres!

Let me know if you have any questions. 

*Squeek*

3 comments:

  1. I have just bought the Blood Island starter set that includes Skaven Rat Ogres and Griffin that a High Elf Rides. My Problem is very simple, i dont know how to attach these models to the base. It is frustrating as i don't wish to break either the base or the statue. Some help would be good.
    Yodastone79@hotmail.co.uk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm not sure if they changed it... as I don't have the newest Skaven, but the Skaven bonhommes usually have a piece that fits into the slot of the the base and apply glue... If not, just glue them to the base!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there. I seem to remember that when you turn these bases over there are small round holes that are filled. on the feet of the ROgre was a corresponding pin. I used a needle nosed file to drill out the plastic hole from the underside and then glued the foot with the pin into place in the hole that had opened up. If you do this carefully mark where you want the second hole to be by playing around with the Rogre so you don't drill out a hole in the wrong place.
    BIG hassle!
    Another option is to NOT mess around with these holes and instead file flat the feet of the ROgre so you have plenty of contact surface and just use regular plastic glue. I haven't done this, but unless you are planning to convert the ROgre to a Bonebreaker and have another model on top it should be fine.
    Can't advise on the pointy-eared Elven princeling I'm afraid as I swapped my IOB elves for more Skaven!
    Does that help? I may have forgotten how I did it...(too much warpstone...)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...