Sunday, May 9, 2010

Painting a Skaven Warp Lightning Cannon!

*Neek, Neek*
Yes, yes, the Warp Lightning Cannon is much feared by our enemies!

I haven't been able to work on any painting this weekend, so instead thought I would put up another item that I did while I was waiting for the bulk of my army to arrive a couple of weeks ago. This time, a Warp Lighting Cannon.
As I haven't yet used the army I am working on, I haven't used this weird and wonderful weapon of war, but from what I hear (and the army book) it is a classic Skaven item: potentially devastating - often to the Skaven crew themselves!
Here is the finished item (Click image to enlarge and view on Picasa).
(Below the pics I will add some info on what Games Workshop paints I used.)


From Skaven



From Skaven
Warp Lightning Cannon Painting Guide:  

EDIT: Following the launch of the latest Citadel Paint range in 2012, please note that the colours listed below are from the previous range. I hope to have time to rewrite in the future, but for the time being, you can use the conversion chart/ list I made here or use the official Citadel Conversion chart here.

Step 1:
- Chaos Black undercoat. (Spray painted.)
Step 2: Basic Colours
- Calthan Brown (All wood)
- Snakebite Leather (Some wood sections on the carriage to provide variety.)
- Boltgun Metal (Bolts, metallic pieces on gun carriage, bands on cannon barrel.)
- Dwarf Bronze (Cannon barrel)
- Dark Angels Green (Warpstone)
- Skull White (Cannon Dials)
- Blood Red (Cannon Dials)
Step 3: Washes
- Thrakka Green (Warpstone)
- Devlan Mud (All gun carriage, metallic parts, gun barrel etc.)
- Thrakka Green (Around gun barrel bolts and metallic pieces to add a mouldy, old look)
Step 4: Drybrushing
- Chainmail (all metallics, bolts etc.)
- Snot Green (Warpstone)...leading up to a Skull White drybrushing on the warpstone edges when done.)

Crew: 
Same basic scheme as the Skaven in the Jezzail team, here! 

And you are done! (OK, not quite done, as I still have to base the cannon and make a final attachment of the crew.) 

Comments of course welcome! 

2 comments:

  1. This cannon is so much better than the new one. Im thinking of getting one from ebay or such. Great paintjob aswell :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I agree with you about that! I particularly like the spotter sitting on the weapon.
      On the other hand, the new one does get you TWO different weapons in one kit so you get more flexibility.
      I posted a "Dual use" conversion guide for the new kit here:
      http://chatteringhorde.blogspot.jp/2011/10/dual-use-plagueclaw-catapult.html
      (or type "Dual use" into the search box at top right)
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...