Sunday, May 20, 2012

Gem Madness! High Elf Swordmasters Update #1

*Squeek*

High Elf Bladelord
Only a week to go until the "big reveal"of this High Elf army to the kids (gulp). Since last posting I have done some ordering, some painting and some movement trays.

Thinking ahead to the unveiling, I ordered the Gale Force 9 Battlefield in a Box Elven Tower to try and have a bit of impressive scenery. 
Gale Force 9 Elven Tower:
The good news is that reviews have been pretty favorable and the price was reasonable. The bad news is it looks as though it hasn't been dispatched yet, so I guess it won't make it in time.
:-(

On the painting side of things I spent most evenings this last week working on the Swordmasters. Somebody said they would be easy...
...but I can only guess that they mean in comparison to detailed units like Ellyrian Reavers! 


For example, a unit of x20 Swordmasters is about 80 gems. I think that I have now contracted that rare affliction - "Gem Madness". I actually dreamed about gems last night after finishing these. ("Snot Green, then Dark Angels Green at top, Snot Green/ Skull white at bottom, and a dot of pure Skull White at top...") 
To keep myself sane I went outside my comfort zone and tried to do some red gems for the first time ever (adventurous eh?). I used the technique in the High Elf Army Book and to my surprise they came out OK (pics in the images below.)

After a few nights of work here is where I am now:
x20 ranked Swordmasters
Standard Bearer (Detail)
Bladelord (Detail)
Unit (Detail)
Front rank (Detail)
Swordmasters unit
Red Gems - first ever!
Red Gems - detail.
Bladelord - metal figure
Swordmaster with red gems
Bladelord - green gems
Bladelord - gem detail
Swordmaster command - detail
As they have large areas of scale armour I guess they are quite quick to do, but after the armour I slowed down quite a bit (layers of Warlock Purple on the robes, and aforementioned gems took me a while.) 

For the armour I used:
  • Chainmail 
  • Badab Black (wash)
  • Mithril Silver (dry brush)
I still have to do highlights on the details, bases, layers on the skin, and eyes, but I reckon I should then be clear to start on one final unit for the army.

Yesterday I also finished painting up and flocking x5 movement trays. 


These are all by Gale Force 9 and came with my original HE order from eBay. They are wood and well put together. The only think I am not so keen on is that they are very "square"- I'd prefer them to have more rounded edges. After texturing and flocking I think they came out OK, but next time I will carve or sand/ file the edges first so they don't look quite so regular. When I have a bit more time I may add some ruins or other bits and pieces to add some atmosphere.

(For the texturing I used textured grey spray paint for the first time. Available at garden centers and used to add a concrete-like texture to smooth surfaces, this has fine sand in it. It did add some texture, but it was too fine. Next time I may do several layers to thicken it up. To achieve the same thing here I used PVA glue and modelling sand.)


Hopefully the next update will see me with the Swordmasters finished and the Silver Helms underway.
:-)

Hope you are all having a good week/ weekend!
*Squeek*

4 comments:

  1. My friend has that elven tower, it is massive. Your high elves look good as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the tower looks pretty big in most of the images I have seen, so I think it should make a pretty good centerpiece to any gaming table! Glad you like the elves...still lots of work to do! Thanks for leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooops, I think it might have been me who said they were easy.

    The red gems are looking pretty good, but the green ones are certainly the best. And they are a very nice change from the typical white/blue elves you see elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol! I think it WAS you! ;-)
      No worries, because you were right in one way - a distinct lack of white robes (thanks to all that scale armour) makes painting most of each model MUCH easier!

      Thanks for the comments on the green gems. I agree that overall they look best, at least with this colour scheme, so will probably keep the green gems in the majority of any unit.

      Cheers,

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...