Sunday, November 21, 2021

Mansions of Madness 2e Miniatures - the Investigators

 Something's afoot...

...and these investigators are ready to find out what it is! 




An otherwise eclectic group, what unites them is a suspicion that something lies behind the dark deeds and unusual occurrences they have witnessed in and around the city of Arkham.

***

These are the eight investigator miniatures in the base Mansions of Madness 2e box. I decided to paint them up quite quickly so I could bring them to a game if called upon. Between these and the twenty plus monsters in the box there was quite a lot to do. As with the miniatures for Descent Journeys in the Dark I went for a mix of Citadel Contrast Paints and regular paints. This would allow me to quickly get textured surfaces done quickly but add some detail and highlights later for added effect. 

One difference (for me) from painting lots of minis for big tabletop battles is that with these smaller tabletop games the models will be handled a lot. To help them be durable I decided to varnish all of these. The first coat was a tough high-gloss varnish (Citadel Technical 'ardcoat), then a second coat of matt varnish (Citadel Technical Stormshield). For some models (Mainly on the monsters) I did a 3rd coat (a spot varnish) to areas of the model that would get a lot of handling. This would have a fourth coat to bring down the shine. I also did a layer of gloss for aesthetic effect (bald heads, shiny shoes etc.). It is important to note that using Stormshield over 'ardcoat leaves a definite satin finish, which I don't mind for this kind of game piece.

I have left the bases unvarnished and with just one layer of black because I'm planning to replace these with clear acrylic.

Let's take a look!

Rita Young - the athlete




Father Mateo - the priest




Preston Fairmont - the millionaire



William Yorick - the gravedigger



Wendy Adams - the urchin




Minh Thi Phan - the secretary




Carson Sinclair - the butler




Agatha Crane - the parapsychologist




Hope you like the minis above. In a future post I'll share the monsters that I have painted.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...