Saturday, May 27, 2023

Cthulu Death May Die - Hastur joins the party

The King in Yellow

I posted some WIP of the Cthulu Death May Die base set models in a previous post

What you won't see in that post is 'Hastur', one of the two Elder Gods that comes in the base set. The photos you can see there (and below) of the Disciples of Hastur also actually don't show that those are the second attempt on those models, as I really hadn't liked my first attempt!


The problem? 
I'd tried Citadel contrast paint 'Iyanden Yellow' over my first 'slapchop' undercoat and grey/white drybrush. To my eyes it hadn't worked at all! Yellow is notoriously difficult to work with, and the contrast yellow looked washed-out, dull, and chalky, especially over the smooth robes. If I added more it looked very orange. 

I wanted a more vibrant effect, so I went back to a normal yellow - Flash Gitz Yellow and Iyanden Sunset, along with a Gryphonne Sepia wash. That process took multiple thin coats and a frustratingly long time, but I ended up with a result I much preferred.

And Hastur? 
Having learned from my failure with the Disciples and trying a contrast paint yellow, I now knew that for part of the Hastur model (yellow robes) I'd stick with normal paints and layers. For the tentacles and other parts I would stay with Contrast paints to save time. Here it is!

Hastur & Disciples (front)

Hastur and Disciples (side)

I kept thing pretty simple, and just stayed with a contrast paint Ork Flesh green. I used a Wraithbone white for the teeth, followed by a wash and then highlights. To add some interest, I then added an 'Ardcoat gloss varnish on the mouthparts and Hastur's red fleshy 'bits'.

Good enough for the board game table I reckon!

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...